Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Marvel Famous Covers Hulk! AAaarrrgg!


The  Marvel Famous Covers Hulk was really hard to find at a price I was willing to pay, some boxed, new going for as much as $35.00 to $70.00 on E-Bay. I settled on one for $27.99 (price included shipping), and today I saw one with a starting bid at $9.99 + $10.00 shipping… *sigh*. There is a reason why too, Friends: he’s really cool. ToyBiz’s version of the Jade Giant has a body sculpt unique to his Famous Cover counterparts, including a two-part torso that features a much larger chest than the others. I like his big hands and feet, and classic, clenched-teeth face sculpt, too! He reminded me of my Mego Hulk from the 70’s so much that I just fell in love J What a FUN toy!




Growing up watching the Ferrigno/Bixby T.V. show (1978-1982), playing with my Mego Hulk, the Green Goliath was a big part of my childhood- he was a favorite Marvel character of mine and millions of other children. To a skinny eight year-old boy, the ability to transform into a large, powerful being seemed very appealing, and frankly it does to a 38 year-old man too sometimes. Whether dealing with a schoolyard bully or a pushy boss, at one time or another we have all wished to “tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have”! I was somewhat surprised that two Hulk movies were made so closely together in 2003 and then 2008, both entirely separate productions- I was entertained, though I found the latter better overall. I recently tore into a rather hefty Marvel Essential Hulk Vol.6 I scored on Amazon that I’m actually enjoying- the Marvel Essential Series are all in black & white, but Sal Buscema’s drawings are still exciting.

Marvel Essential Hulk Vol.6 cover art, featuring a version of the Hulk I recognized instantly:


-See Mego’s 8” Hulk and 12” Hulk- I had them both as a child.
-The CBS television series of The Incredible Hulk on Wikipedia, starring the late, great Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno They changed Bruce Banner’s name to DAVID Banner for the television show, and to this day Stan Lee doesn’t know why.
-Incredible Hulk T.V. Series spoken intro here... don't look at me like that, you KNOW it!

Until next time, if you find a startling metamorphosis occur inside you- try to find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within  J  Sorry… I just had to say that!

2 comments: