Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Fan Art: Werewolf By Night!



Happy Halloween! For this post I wanted to share my latest piece of comics inspired art, Marvel's Werewolf By Night!  I recently picked up the second Marvel Essential volume of this title at a local Comic Con, and have enjoyed it thoroughly. As a kid I was fascinated by werewolves, and while there are some goofy moments in the book, it's been a fun read  for the month of October! Werewolf By Night first appeared in Marvel Spotlight back in 1972, soon thereafter getting his own book, running 43 issues up until 1977. The anti-hero has since resurfaced several times in limited series, including a 90's stint in Morbius the Living Vampire. I'm an old fine art painter, so this was done with acrylic & brush on 14 x 20" watercolor paper using the book only as a reference, the drawing completely original and not directly copied from the Don Perlin work within. I tried to make it as close to Marvel "house style" as I could in this method, and though I'll never be a comic book artist, it's fun to revisit my childhood fantasy as such. Check out the Spider-Man I painted last January.

*Read more about Werewolf By Night at at MarvelWikia.Com!
More Later- Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. I am really loving the art, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Local Comic Shop has been clearing vol 2 out at $5. I bought a bunch of copies and gave them to some of my friends that I've known for years. We are all mutual friends with Doug Moench's son from elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job Super-D! And Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete