Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Recent Comic Pick-Ups

Just a few words on some recent comic pick-ups:

*Batman #25 Zero Year
On with writer Scott Snyder & artist Greg Capullo's retelling of the Dark Knight's evolution- missed the whole "Court of Owls" storyline, but picked up this title at the beginning of the Zero Year. Still unsure of who is friend or foe, Bruce Wayne is betrayed by someone close in "Dark City", under the persuasion of Dr. Death, the first real supervillain Batman encountered back in Detective Comics #29.



*Earth 2 #17 and Beware The Batman #1
I've been reading Earth 2 since the 1st issue, in which Batman was killed along with Superman & Wonder Woman, sacrificing themselves against the invading forces of Apokolips. I was thrilled to see this cool new Batman show up in issue #17 to stop the mysteriously malevolent Superman threatening the new "Wonders" who now protect Earth-Two. The art in this title has been better than the story, but I like the characters. 

I picked up the first issue of Beware The Batman on a whim, and while I may not continue with the title, I did like the cast of characters I'd seen in the new animated TV show this series is based on. I enjoy Katana as the teen sidekick and a reimagined Alfred, now Bruce Wayne's bodyguard. And the art, inspired by the show, is dynamic and fun!



*Superior Spider-Man Annual #1
I cannot let go of the great, new Superior Spider-Man title, in which Otto Octavius has taken over Peter Parker's body, and hence the mantle of New York's finest wall crawler. Too good! Javier Rodriguez's art was a treat here, though this annual seems to be just an average tale among many better within the series. There is a disturbing torture scene involving a pair of pliers between Spider-Man and the vampiric Blackout, the latter on the receiving end!




*Amazing X-Men #1 and X-Men Gold #1
I missed most all X-Men books in Marvel's Marvel NOW! relaunch, but spotted these new titles and decided to give them a whirl with their opening issues. Amazing X-Men starts out bizarrely with the recently deceased Nightcrawler growing bored in paradise. Yearning for one more adventure, the swashbuckling blue elf leaps from the edge of paradise to fight Azazel! The great mix of X-Men is joined by Firestar, a new teacher at the Jean Grey School For Higher Learning, for the first in a five part series by writer Jason Aaron and Ed McGuiness- an artist I really like.

X-Men Gold is a celebration of 50 years of the X-Men, features five short pieces by legendary Marvel writers, Chris Claremont, Stan Lee, Len Wein, Fabian Nicieza, and Roy Thomas. It seemed like a collector piece to me. Something special happened with this purchase- I finally signed up with Marvel.Com to redeem the digital edition so I can keep an online library of comics in the future. I even picked up a few free digital comics for my online library! Fun!




















More Later- Keep Reading Comics!

3 comments:

  1. I am so behind in my comics. Haven't gotten one since 1998!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Beware The Batman was a great cartoon that got short shrift from someone - either DC or Cartoon Network. It was a fresh take on a classic character with fresh villain that I liked. I like Professor Pig and Mr Toad. I would kill for figures of those two in their wacky car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pretty amused by the Nightcrawler issue... I'm really glad to see him back but it was amusing, with the pirate ship and all that. Kind of eager to see where they go with that, and how it's integrated into the rest of the X-books.

    ReplyDelete