Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Handfuls of Heroes


I've admired these Handful of Heroes since Hasbro released them a few years ago, but was unwilling to pay the seven dollar retail price- a somewhat poor value. But when I spotted them at Five Below for three dollars a box, I took a few home. As a child of the Seventies, I can appreciate a 2" plastic figure in the way today's youth may not- a staple of any kid's toy box from my generation. The packs boated a "battle mat", in which as best I can tell, the players are to flick the characters from one end to the other in a sort of mini-Marvel bowling match. Pretty dumb. On the verso is a visual checklist of the characters one can collect from the series. Here's a look at what was included in each box I picked up...





 Super Secret figures from each of the four boxes: Hulk, Green Goblin, Spider-Man, and Wolverine...


Now let's break these down into group affiliation...Spider-Man related characters were plenty in this mini-haul, and included a Dr. Octopus, Green Goblin, and Venom...



Crawling Spider-Man with Punisher, a character who first appearing in Amazing Spider-Man #129 back in 1974. These Handful of Heroes figures remind me a lot of my 70's childhood, and this pairing solidifies that nostalgia all the more...




Hulk In Bulk: All Ages Hulk, Professor Hulk (with guns), regular Hulk (with bar), and three Hulk as War below...



 Bi-Beast with Zzzask- two monstrous enemies of the Hulk created by artist Herb Trimpe in 1973...



Fantastic Four related characters Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, and Thing...



Avengers related characters: Thor with two Captain America figures...



X-Men related characters: Wolverine and Sabretooth (left), Nightcrawler with two Onslaught figures...






















Iron Man related characters: Modern Iron Man, Mark I Iron Man, Iron Patriot, and Mandarin...



A few comparison pics: Mark I Iron Man with his Marvel Universe counterpart (left), Silver Surfer with Marvel MiniMate and Heroes and Villains Silver Surfer Mini figures (right), and Spider-Man with Playskool Heroes and Heroes and Villains Spidey (below)...


 More Later- Make It FUN!

5 comments:

  1. Ive picked up a couple of these packs in the past and really like them.The secret figure is a cool gimmick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The few of these I bought are really neat but I was a dummy and paid full price when they where still new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be too tempted to paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For $3 a pack i think i might have add a few to my collection and luck me i have a Five Below near by. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew these existed but for a dollar I would have snapped them up. I love the clear color of each character. Reminds me of those great smaller figures I had as a kid.

    ReplyDelete